Sweden's first large-scale drug residue purification is opened
In 2016, it became clear who will realize the construction and installation of the new drug treatment in Nykvarn plant in Linköping. Malmberg has along with Suez implemented all engineering design and installation. Skanska has been responsible for construction and building of the facility. With the help of ozone it is estimated that over 90 percent of drug residues that leave the body will be cleansed away. The ozone purification plant will be a part step of the sewage treatment at Nykvarns WWTP.
Minister of Environment Karolina Skoog inaugurated the new plant Sep. 7th 2017. Here with fr.l Robert Sehlén, Anna Lövsén, Anders Johansson, Rebecka Hovenberg.
Drug residues affect the aquatic environment. Hormones, for example, are proved to give fish problems to multiply. Other drug residues found in our wastewater are antibiotics, anti-anxiety drugs and painkillers. Even resistant bacteria can be found.
Through a collaboration with the Swedish Environmental Research Institute and Tekniska Verken in Linkoping a project was conducted where a pilot scale plant tested a method for purifying wastewater from pharmaceutical residues using ozone. Read the report here (in Swedish)
Quick facts about the drug residue purification in Linköping
- With the help of ozone is over 90 percent of the residues of our medicine intake removed from the wastewater.
- Ozone decompose drug residues and other organic contaminants that the existing biological processes at the plant is not able to take care of.
- The ozone is mixed into the waste water in a reactor capacity of 600 m3
- The ozone reactor is designed so that all the ozone by a good margin can react before the water flows to the next purification step.
- The facility and process is equipped with double safety system that quickly can shut down the ozone production if a leak is detected.
- After the ozone treatment the water is treated in a biological process that captures decomposition products from the ozonation.
- In addition to the drug residue treatment, the combination of ozone treatment and the subsequent biological treatment will also improve the overall purification of organic carbon and nitrogen.